When most people sit down to a project, they get situated. Sometimes it involves cleaning your workspace. Sometimes it means traveling to your workspace (coffee shop, park, etc.). Personally, I like to make sure everything is neat and tidy before I get to the task at hand. In this case, the WordPress Learning Curve is getting in the way so I’m going about this backwards. I want to start posting and my layout is craptastic at best. Should I wait until I’m a WordPress expert before I start! In this case, I think it’s more important to jump in and learn as I go. This blog is going to be quite the experiment. Experimentation means trying something new. And that means I don’t get to tidy up!
I like making lists so let’s start with some basics:
- I’m 30 years old
- I live in Los Angeles
- I’m married to the most wonderful man alive (we’ll be calling him Mr. Los Angeles).
- We just bought our first home and I will be sharing the renovation process with you on this blog. Call it the spring board for the rest of this experiment.
- I like to laugh. A lot. At many things, including myself. And you. It’s all in good fun.
- There will be mild profanity (just uttered a few key words while trying to change the CSS on my WordPress theme)
- There will be some great photos. Mr. Los Angeles works in The Biz (visual effects) and that means he is also a great photographer.
- My background is in advertising as an art director. It means I will be creating some great posts. It also means I know my bourbons. Get to know Black Maple Hill. You’re welcome.
- Topics covered in this blog include: home renovation, interior design, fashion, graphic design, art, typography, food, more food, cooking & baking, travel, beauty, and (occasionally) ballet.
- Additionally, there will be jokes and some sarcasm. They say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. I’d rather be a little witty than fairly boring.
And you know what? I had a “first blog post” all ready to go! It was definitely a “hi my name is… please read my blog” post. Joanna Goddard is one of my favorite bloggers and her #1 rule is to be authentic. On the flip side, Meghan Rowland is one of my other favorite bloggers and she is still in mourning over Larry Hagman’s death and devoted an entire post to things that make her nauseous. I’ll try to come down somewhere between those two fine female bloggers.
PS: I didn’t know who would be participating in the Super Bowl until yesterday. At the time of this writing, I don’t know who won. Not even sure if it’s over. Based on this information, assume there will be NO SPORTS POSTS.